This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
Looking for zero waste kitchen products and plastic-free swaps, for an eco-friendly kitchen?
I got you covered!
The truth is that when it comes to our kitchen, we tend to use a number of unsustainable products that create A LOT of waste in the long run.
From toxic detergents in plastic bottles and synthetic sponges to plastic wraps, various single-use items, etc.
Luckily, there are sustainable zero waste kitchen products and alternatives to almost anything!
Now we will explore 32 eco-friendly kitchen products that will help you create an (almost) zero waste kitchen!
While the initial cost of some zero waste kitchen products can be higher, you will most likely save money in the long run.
The products are divided into 5 categories, to find specific items easily:
- Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Cleaning
- Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Food storage
- Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Cooking
- Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Shopping / On the go
- Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Other
Now, let’s begin with the list!
32 Zero Waste Kitchen Products & Plastic-Free Essentials:
Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Cleaning
1. Dish brush
The conventional sponges for washing dishes are made of synthetic fibers. They pollute waterways and aren’t biodegradable, so they sit in landfills for decades.
The sustainable dish brush is better because of the materials, and it is long-lasting – you can use each brush head for 1-3 months.
It is made with sustainably harvested wood and stiff Tampico plant fibers. Additionally, the top part is removable, so you can keep the handle and change the dish brush head.
- Fully recyclable and compostable
- Removable head
Zero waste dish brushes:
- Curved Dish Brush (non-removable head)
- Handcrafted Dish Brush (removable head) & Dish Brush Replacement Head
2. Loofah sponge
The loofah sponge is a 100% plant-based sponge, and it can last up to 5 weeks! Loofah is also completely unprocessed and chemical-free.
Loofah is made of 100% plant-based fiber material. Once it’s no longer usable, you can compost in your backyard or commercial composting facility.
- Fully compostable and biodegradable, in a backyard or commercial composting within 30 days
- Non-scratch fibers
- Mayan Loofah (Follow this link for $10 off coupon, for first orders of $40+)
- Heirloom Mayan Loofah Scrubbers (6 pieces)
3. Reusable cleaning cloths
Paper towels are incredibly wasteful, and millions of trees are destroyed to create this single-use product.
Reusable cleaning cloths are ideal for spills, cleaning different surfaces, and most are designed to dry out quickly, without breeding bacteria or creating odor. Choose reusable cleaning cloths made of 100% organic cotton, whenever possible.
- Absorbant & long-lasting
- Dishwasher and laundry safe
4. Latex cleaning gloves
Latex cleaning gloves like these ones are made from ethically sourced latex made from natural rubber, and cotton. The gloves are ideal for cleaning dishes, oven cleaning, scrubbing the bathroom, etc. They are 100% backyard compostable (cut them into small pieces first).
- Durable and slip-resistant
- Your hands won’t feel sticky and wet since they are lined with cotton from the inside
5. Copper scrubber pads
Copper is a soft metal that will not scratch aluminum, stainless steel, or enamel surfaces when wet! It is ideal for cleaning pots and pans, sinks, bathtubs, etc. These copper scrubbers are 100% plastic-free and fully recyclable.
While I found more options, a lot of them contained polyester threading (polypropylene yarn), so they aren’t entirely plastic-free. Make sure to check that, if you decide to buy copper scrubbers.
- Fully recyclable
6. Dishwashing soap bar
Liquid dishwashing soaps come in plastic, and they often contain ingredients that aren’t the best for your skin. These eco-friendly dish soap options are plastic-free, non-toxic, and long-lasting. It contains vegetable oils like castor, coconut, and sunflower, and sometimes essential oils for scent.
- Lathers easily
- Safe, and chemical-free
- Vegan & palm-oil free
Dishwashing soap bars:
- Castile Dish Soap 7 oz & Solid Dish Soap Block 7.5 oz
- Handmade Castile Dish Soap Block 12 oz
- Round Dish Soap 8 oz ($10 off coupon, for first orders of $40+)
Conventional dishcloths are made from plastic, and they aren’t recyclable. These eco-friendly alternatives are long-lasting, super absorbent, quick-drying, and machine washable.
They are the ideal swap for paper towels and sponges, made of cellulose, cotton, and non-toxic vegetable dye. Once they are no longer usable, you can throw them in your compost bin.
- Machine washable & easy to keep clean
Zero waste dishcloth options:
- Reusable Swedish Dishcloth – 2pk
- Dish Cloths From Cellulose And Cotton
- Reusable Swedish Dishcloth ($10 off coupon, for first orders of $40+)
8. Dishwashing tablets
These plastic-free dishwashing pods have a biodegradable formula (and pod shell), and eco-friendly, chemical-free ingredients, with water-soluble film. They can remove grease, fight stains, and leave your dishes perfectly clean!
- No artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, or dyes
- Compatible with all dishwasher types
- A water-soluble film made of polyvinyl alcohol
9. Countertop spray cleaner
Cleaning sprays contain chemicals that can contribute to indoor air pollution, and they can be poisonous if ingested, and harmful if inhaled or touched. This natural, chemical-free spray works perfectly well without the dangerous aspects.
It is made with natural ingredients and essential oils, packaged in durable glass reusable bottles. Once you’re done with it, you can get a refill, reuse the glass bottle, or recycle it.
- Contains no chemical additives including phthalates, parabens, ethyls, or sulfates
- Plastic-free & eco-friendly product
- Earthy Edith’s is a zero-waste company, creating little to no waste at their production facility
- The company has 3 different sizes and a variety of other eco-friendly cleaning products and sprays
Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Food storage
10. Silicone baggies
Silicone bags are reusable, durable, freezable, and the ideal eco-friendly swap for plastic bags (such as Ziplocks, and other similar single-use items). They are made with 100% pure platinum grade silicone and can be reused for many years.
- Freezer & microwave and oven safe
- Dishwasher safe
- BPA free, non-toxic, and hypoallergenic
11. Stainless steel container
Why it’s better: You can reuse stainless steel containers endlessly, plus they are 100% recyclable.
You can use them for meal plans, store different foods and leftovers, and use them as a container when buying something from different stores, freeze things, and much more! They will help you to reduce A LOT of single-use waste.
Materials: 100% non-toxic, stainless steel food storage containers
End of life: Throw it in your metal recycling bin
- Various sizes
- Freezer & dishwasher safe
- Reuse endlessly
Zero waste containers:
- Eco Lunch Boxes – Various shapes and sizes
- Airtight Stainless Steel Containers (multiple sizes)
- 2 or 3 Ties Stainless Steel Tiffin ($10 off coupon, for first orders of $40+)
- Food storage containers from Life Without Plastic
12. Wax wraps
Plastic foil is wasteful, single-use, and quite useless. A wax wrap can keep your food fresh, and you can reuse them over and over again! They are made with cotton-hemp blend fabric & plant-based waxes, oils, and natural tree resin.
To increase their life, wash the wax wraps with cold water & a bit of soap, hang dry or pat dry with a dishtowel. Since heat can destroy them, keep wax wraps away from heat, including hot foods, dishwashers, microwaves, and ovens.
- Washable, reusable, and biodegradable
- 100% plant-based and vegan
Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Cooking
13. Silicone baking mats
Silicone baking mats are reusable, so you can avoid wasting single-use baking sheets. The mats are washable & non-stick, and durable, and made of food-grade silicone.
Notes: Sometimes it can be a bit hard to clean, and some things leave stains, but overall, I think they are a great low waste alternative, especially if you bake a lot.
- Washing machine safe (top rack only)
- Non-stick baking mat
- No need for oil, cooking sprays, or parchment paper
14. Silicone cupcake cups
Like the silicone mats, the silicone cupcake cups are better because you can use them hundreds of times, for baking and even freezing things. They are also made of food-grade silicone, and you can bake food, up to 400F.
- Can last you a lifetime
- No more throwing away paper cupcake liners!
15. Cutting board
The cutting board is plastic-free and made from sustainably harvested bamboo. They are light, durable, and if you take good care of them, they can last you a lifetime.
- Finished with food-safe mineral/wood oils
Bamboo cutting boards:
- Bamboo Cutting Board from Earth Hero – Small, Medium, or Large sizes
- Bamboo cutting board from Amazon – Large size
16. Veggie peeler
This veggie peeler is 100% recyclable, ad it is fully plastic-free, made of stainless steel. If you take good care of it, it can last you a lifetime!
Key features: 100% recyclable & plastic-free
17. Cotton oven glove and hot pad
Organic cotton uses significantly less water in production, and it isn’t contaminated with toxic chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides, as traditional cotton. That’s why choosing an organic cotton oven mitt is the most sustainable option.
- Organic cotton & EKO Certified
- Machine washable
18. Silicone spatula
This silicone spatula is plastic-free, chemical-free so that no chemicals will leach inside your food. The handle is 100% molded bamboo, and the spatula is made from silicone. Silicone is a durable material, so the spatula is meant to last years.
- Safe to use in non-stick pans and won’t melt, or stain
- Does not absorb flavors
- BPA free
19. Waste-free coffee
Choosing to drink your coffee waste-free is another great zero waste kitchen tip, which will help you to prevent a lot of waste. You can use a Reusable K cup, French press, or Moka pot, to enjoy waste-free and plastic-free coffee!
20. Bread maker
If you would like to make homemade bread, you can get yourself a bread maker, which will make the whole bread-making process so much faster. You can find awesome second-hand deals on eBay and make freshly baked, plastic-free, fluffy bread at any time.
21. Silicone freezer tray
A silicone tray is ideal for freezing, it can’t break, it is flexible and non-toxic. It is BPA & PVC-free, dishwasher safe, durable, and heat-resistant.
22. Nut milk bag
By getting a nut milk bag, you can make delicious and healthy nut milk at home! This nut milk bag is specially designed for homemade nut milk, and it is made from GOTS Certified Organic Cotton. (the packaging contains plastic; I couldn’t find a plastic-free option, so if you know some, please share in the comments below!)
- Machine washable for easy cleanup
- Perfect for making any type of homemade nut milk
23. Nut milk maker
Recycling TetraPaks is a difficult process, and many milk cartons are ending up in landfills. Making homemade plant milk can be a bit time-consuming, but if you invest in a plant milk machine will make the process easier and faster!
You can also use a blender to make plant milk at home. I tried both options and I prefer using my second-hand Soyabella machine.
Note that you making nut milk at home will taste different than the store-bought, and you will need a bit of time to find how you enjoy the homemade nut milk the most (consistency, flavor, etc.)
- Fantastic nut milk in less than a minute
- Super simple – just press a button, and you have your nut milk
Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Shopping & On the go
24. Reusable bags
You can reuse them endlessly, and they will help you avoid single-use plastic bags. Use what you already have, or invest in sturdy, long-lasting reusable bags.
- No bleach, toxic dyes, or chemical additives
- Machine washable (cold water)
- Recycled cotton tote bag
- Reusable & foldable shopping bag
- Organic cotton foldable tote bag
- A set of a tote bag and 4 produce bags (image below)
25. Produce bags
You can use produce bags for your veggies, fruits, and shopping in bulk – anything from seeds, and nuts, to legumes. You will avoid using plastic or paper bags, and you can wash and reuse the produce baggies endlessly!
- Machine washable and reusable
- Unbreakable, unlike jars
- Easily foldable to be extremely compact to carry
- Various sizes
- With or without holes (for fine ingredients, like flour, or small seeds)
- Reusable bulk & produce bag (no holes)
- Reusable produce mesh bag – medium and large
- Cotton mesh produce bag – medium and large
- Cotton bulk bag – small, medium, and large
- A set of a tote bag and 4 produce bags
You can simply reuse jars that you got from the shop. Wash the jars once you use their contents, and then use them to shop in bulk, freeze things, keep leftovers, etc. It is a great cost-effective option.
27. Bread bag
You can reuse and wash this food-grade organic cotton bread bag, instead of using plastic ones. The bread bag is breathable and it will help you to keep your fresh bread for longer.
- With no bleach, or toxic dyes
- Washing machine safe
28. Cutlery set
- Compact & easy to carry
- Heat resistant
Zero Waste Kitchen Products: Other
29. Compost bin
Composting is a huge part of living a zero waste and eco-friendly lifestyle. If organic waste is dumped in the landfill, it cannot biodegrade, and what’s worse, it releases methane – a greenhouse gas that’s between 28 to 36 times more potent than carbon dioxide at trapping heat in the atmosphere.
There are various options when it comes to composting your food scraps, and while it may seem intimidating, it is easier than you think!
- The silicone kitchen compost bin is an odor-free and freezer-safe door
- Molded bamboo compost bin uses charcoal filters to absorb odors, and you can quickly transfer the food scraps to your local compost facility, or a backyard system
- You can convert your food scraps into nutrient-rich compost
Zero waste compost bins:
- Silicone Kitchen Compost Bin (Countertop/freezer option)
- Molded Bamboo Compost Bin (Countertop option)
- Worm Factory or Bokashi Dual System (Full compost system kits)
30. Reusable recycling trash bin
Using single-use plastic bags isn’t the best option when we have great alternatives, such as reusable trash bins/bags. You can easily divide the trash, and if the bins/bags are dirty, you can wash and reuse them! You can find reusable trash bags, made of post-consumer recycled plastics, or cloth fabric.
- Ideal for sorting different waste materials
- Lightweight and durable
Reusable trash bins:
31. Water filter
These charcoal sticks are an amazing & simple way to purify water. It is entirely plastic-free – the sticks are made from branches of sustainably harvested Japanese holm oak trees.
- Absorbs impurity from water
- Improves the taste of water
- Purifies the water in about one hour
32. Zero waste cookbooks
These zero waste cookbooks are filled with zero waste practices, that can help you to reduce your waste.
The books will share great and interesting recipes, and in general – will give you food for thought (figuratively and literally).
- Great for chefs, and a cool gift idea
- Gives creative contemporary ways of cooking and dealing with waste
- Ideas on how to cook with your food scraps
As you can see, there is an eco-friendly alternative to most conventional & wasteful kitchen items!
As I tried to include plenty of products, keep in mind that probably you won’t need all of these items. Additionally, If you already have some of these items, such as an oven mitt, then don’t buy a new “eco-friendly” one.
Purchase only if you truly need something, and remember that the goal of this list is to help you to find specific eco-friendly kitchen products, that are usually hard to find, and the accessible versions in your local stores are wasteful.
Lastly, if you want to explore more cool websites, and items, I advise you to check my list with 46 zero waste online stores around the world!