This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
Most people use Ziploc bags as single-use items. Unfortunately, that leaves us with a LOT of plastic waste that needs hundreds of years to break down.
But are there any good eco-friendly & zero waste alternatives to Ziploc bags?
There are sustainable alternatives to Ziploc bags, and in this article, we will go through 6 eco-friendly Ziploc bags that can help you reduce single-use plastics!
We will finish up with a few commonly asked questions (FAQ).
Now, let’s begin!
Eco-friendly alternatives to Ziploc bags
1. Reusable silicone bags
Reusable silicone bags are one of the best alternatives to plastic Ziploc bags.
Even though silicone can be a tricky material, it is still better for long-term use.
- Stasher – High-quality, 100% pure-non-toxic silicone. Various sizes and shapes.
- Full Circle – B Corp Certified. Reusable FDA-Grade EVA material. Disher & freezer safe. Durable, leak-proof, air-tight design. 2 awesome designs.
- Homelux Theory – Leak-proof, great for storing liquid things, like soups. The silicone bags have a secure seal, that’s plastic.
- Silicone is inert, non-toxic, and safe for food
- It resists microbes and holds up to hot and cold temperatures
- Air-tight, microwave and freezer safe
- Great for storing and freezing foods
- Different sizes
- Some are leak-proof
- A narrow opening
- A bit difficult to clean
- Some silicone bags are not the cheapest, but they will last a very long time if you take good care of them
2. Eco-friendly snack bags
These reusable snack bags are another awesome sustainable alternative to plastic Ziploc bags.
The outer part of the CHICOBA 3-pack snack bags is made from recycled plastic water bottles.
These eco-friendly snack bags are ideal for keeping sandwiches, cookies, fruits, nuts, etc.
- CHICOBA snack bags – eco friendly bags ideal for snacks, sandwiches, etc. Made with Recycled PET Fabric (27% recycled content). BPA free. Certified B-Corp. End of life – send back to ChicoBag, and they’ll recycle them for you.
- JUNIPERSEED MERCANTILE Snack + Sandwich Bags – Handmade, made with organic cotton. A pack of 3.
- ECO LUNCH BOX Lunch bag – Organic cotton lunch bag
- FLUFF snack bag – Cute multipurpose bag, ideal for holding fruits, nuts, or a whole sandwich. Made with organic cotton, and lined with water-resistent rPET. Machine-washable.
- Water and stain-resistant liner
- Adjustable size
- A little challenging to clean and dry thoroughly
3. Reusable food wraps
Handcrafted reusable wax wraps are an amazing product that will help you to reduce reliance on single-use plastics.
There are many awesome reusable wax food wraps.
It would be best if you ALWAYS wash the wax wraps with cold soapy water, then hang dry or pat dry with a dishtowel. Keep the wax wraps away from heat. Otherwise, you will destroy them.
- Khala wax wraps – Cotton hemp fabric, infused with soy wax, jojoba & coconut oil, tree resin. 100% vegan. 1% for the Planet member. Sandwich wrap available, too!
- Bee’s Wrap – Eco-friendly beeswax sandwich bag. Check their Starter pack that includes 4 different pieces, plus the sandwich bag. Bee’s Wrap also offer vegan wrax wrap alternative.
- Plant-based options
- Washable, reusable, and compostable
- Keeps the food incredibly fresh
- Freezer and refrigerator friendly
- It is NOT dishwasher, or microwave safe, as heat will separate the wax infused into the wrap
- You can’t store hot foods in the wraps
- A bit pricey, but it will last you a long time if you take good care of it
4. Eco lunch box
Eco lunch boxes are selling different sizes of durable stainless steel storage containers.
They are great for keeping your lunch safe, whenever & wherever you go!
The containers are made with 100% non-toxic stainless steel, and the lids – either food-grade silicone or stainless steel.
- Leak-proof, dishwasher & freezer safe
- Durable, non-breakable
- Great for traveling, packing meals and snacks to-go
- A bit pricey
Reusing jars to keep food or freeze things is the most accessible & easy replacement to single-use plastic Ziploc bags.
Here, you can reuse jars from things you bought from the shop instead of purchasing new jars, bags, or containers.
It is the most cost-effective option.
- Most affordable
- Freezer friendly
- Dishwasher safe
- BPA-free, non-toxic
- Can be easily broken
- Not ideal for taking it outside
6. Pyrex glass food storage
A regular Tupperware container can do the job, too.
If you already have it, you can start using it instead of single-use Ziploc bags.
If you don’t have one, I recommend looking into options that aren’t plastic.
You can find plenty of fantastic affordable glass options, like these Pyrex glass food storage containers.
- You may already have some
- Dishwasher and freezer safe
- Pyrex glass containers AREN’T microwave safe
Eco-friendly alternatives to Ziploc bags: FAQ
How to take care of silicone reusable bags?
Some people complain that reusable silicone bags are annoying to clean and can’t dry off quickly (depending on the brand and model).
It is best if you hand wash them with warm soapy water. Make sure they are completely dry before using them.
To air-dry the silicone bags by putting the bag open on top of a mug.
Are Ziploc bags eco-friendly?
It depends on how you use them. If you already have plastic Ziploc bags at home, it will be a shame to throw them away. Zero waste is all about using what you already have first.
You can continue using them until you can. If you take care of each bag and try to reuse it as long as possible, they can be eco-friendly.
Reusing IS eco-friendly and treating things as single-use items ISN’T eco-friendly.
How bad are Ziploc bags for the environment?
Ziploc bags are made of thin plastic, so they are not reusable in the long term. What’s more, the average American family uses 500 Ziploc bags every year.
Just try to imagine how much plastic waste is created.
Plastic waste like Ziploc bags can be awful for the environment since plastic threatens wildlife, animals, humans, our planet, and oceans.
Are Ziploc bags biodegradable?
Anything can biodegrade, given enough time. But there are a lot of other problems when it comes to plastic.
First, plastics don’t break down into harmless substances. Instead, they can leave behind toxic materials.
Furthermore, when plastics decompose into smaller pieces, it turns into microplastics.
Microplastics are dangerous; they are found in wastewater, fresh water, air, and drinking water (bottled and tap water).
That’s why it is best to try to avoid all single-use plastic items and switch to plastic-free, long-lasting alternatives.
If you are interested, you can find more about the problem with plastic pollution here.
What are the best reusable Ziploc bags?
Reusable silicone bags are the best zero waste Ziploc bags alternative. They are the closest to the Ziploc bags, but they are more durable, reusable, and sustainable.
What is the best alternative to Ziploc bags for the freezer?
All of the ideas in this article are good options for freezing things.
But probably the closest to plastic Ziploc bags are the silicone reusable bags. They are a great environmentally friendly and convenient alternative.
Are silicone bags like Stasher bags worth it?
They are a great, long-lasting, zero waste Ziploc bags alternative, so yes, they are worth it.
You will initially pay a bit more, but you will be able to reuse them for years.
Nowadays, we can find sustainable swaps to almost anything.
And as you can see, there are plenty of cool, affordable & eco-friendly alternatives to Ziploc bags too!
Which option do you like the most?
Let me know in the comment section below. 🙂