This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
How to find sustainable toilet paper without plastic packaging?
And why is it important to look for better alternatives?
The truth is that toilet paper can be harmful to the environment.
It is a single-use paper product that requires a lot of energy for production, and the manufacturing process is incredibly wasteful.
Plus, toilet paper is (almost) ALWAYS wrapped in plastic, which equals to = more waste.
Additionally, we cut down hundreds of trees a day, and for what? To wipe up our butts.
Luckily, there are eco-friendly & plastic toilet paper products. In this article, we will observe 19 of them!
In the end, you can find a FAQ section, where I compare the prices of eco-friendly & plastic-free toilet paper with a conventional one.
Now, let’s begin with the list!
19 Eco-Friendly & Plastic-Free Toilet Paper Products:
In the US:
1. Seventh Generation
Seventh Generation is an environmentally friendly toilet paper that offers 2-ply sheets made from recycled fiber. The toilet rolls are wrapped individually in paper, shipped in a cardboard box.
Material: 100% recycled paper, minimum 50% post-consumer recycled fiber
Size: Pack of 60
- Whitened without chemicals containing chlorine
- It contains no added dyes, inks, or fragrances
- Plastic-free delivery
- Compatible with low-flow toilets
- Certified B corporation
- The texture can feel a bit scratchy and rough
2. Marcal Toilet Paper
Marcal Toilet Paper is soft, 2-ply absorbent bath tissue made with recycled materials and manufactured using no chlorine bleach, dye, or fragrances.
Their goal is to make paper from paper, not from trees.
Sourced: Made in the USA
Material: 100% recycled paper, 60% post-consumer content
Size: 48 Rolls
- Very affordable
- Lint-free, soft and breach free
- Recycled; no new trees were cut down
- Green Seal Certified
- Some customers received PLASTIC when they got their orders. So you should be careful. If you plan to buy this product, leave a note that says you want your order to be plastic-free, if possible.
3. Scott Essential (Bulk)
Scott Essential is durable 2-ply bathroom tissue, that is made from recycled fiber content and is FSC, and Eco Logo certified.
The rolls are individually wrapped in paper, and when you order, the toilet paper comes entirely plastic-free.
Material: 100% recycled fiber
Size: 80 rolls
- Great value and quality
- Not the softest, but not that rough too
4. Georgia Pacific Envision
Georgia Pacific is 2-ply TP made from recycled paper. It is soft, absorbent, and thick.
The bathroom tissue is safe for use in all standard sewer and septic systems.
Georgia Pacific has a Green Seal™ Standard certificate, too.
Material: 100% recycled paper & minimum 25% post-consumer waste paper
Size: 80 rolls
- Chlorine-free processing
- Feels thinner, even though it’s considered as 2-ply
- The texture might feel a bit rough for some
Georgia Pacific is having a range of plastic-free toilet paper products, and a cheaper option called Angel Soft.
It is 2-ply, wrapped in paper, and made from 40% recycled fiber.
5. Bim Bam Boo
Bim Bam Boo is a Certified FSC bamboo toilet paper.
Each eco-friendly roll is individually wrapped in tissue paper and packed in a cardboard box! It eliminates unpleasant linty leave-behinds.
Sourced: from an FSC certified bamboo grove in China
Material: Bamboo, Tree-Free, USDA Certified toilet paper
Size: 24 rolls
- Free of BPA, formaldehyde, chlorine-bleach and itchy glues
- Hypoallergenic, great for sensitive skin
- Smaller rolls, compared to the average roll from a supermarket
- Very affordable
- 100% recycled toilet paper
- Some other similar products are wrapped in plastic, so make sure to leave a note (or contact them first), to make sure that your order will be 100% plastic-free
Size: 96 rolls
- ECOLOGO Certified and FSC certified toilet paper
- Recycled materials
- You should contact them before ordering, to make sure they will deliver your order plastic-free
8. Better Way
Better Way TP is a great option because no trees were used to make the toilet paper.
It all comes from bamboo, and it is FSC Certified, meaning that they meet the highest environmental and social standards.
It is BPA-free, hypoallergenic, and with no scents or dyes, which makes it great for sensitive skin.
Sourced: manufactured in China
Material: Organic bamboo
Size: 12 Double Rolls
- Tree-free toilet paper
- Longer than regular toilet paper rolls
- Plastic-free, sustainably packaged with recycled cardboard and plastic-free tape
- Septic safe
- Not that budget-friendly
9. Tushy Premium
Tushy are selling bidets, but also sustainable, soft, tree-free toilet paper!
The product is 3-ply, biodegradable, and hypoallergenic. If you subscribe to receive Tushy, you will save about 15% of the price.
Material: Unbleached, silky-strong bamboo fibers
Coupon code: Follow this link for $10 OFF your purchase.
Size: 36 rolls
- Thicker rolls
Size: 8, 24 or 48 rolls
- Strong 3-ply bamboo TP
- Plastic-free, 100% recycled paper packaging & wrapper printed with soy ink
- Free of inks, dyes, scents, BPA, and ‘butt crumble’
- Septic safe
- Might feel a bit rough in the beginning
11. Pure Planet
Pure Planet offers tree-free and plastic-free 3-ply toilet paper rolls.
With their subscription (on their website), you can save 10%.
Sourced: Manufactured in the US; bamboo sourced from China
Material: Made from 100% bamboo and sugarcane recycled waste material from the manufacturing industry
Size: 36 rolls
- BPA-free, bleach-free, and fragrance-free
- Biodegradable, septic and RV safe
Size: 24 or 48 rolls
- They donate 50% of their profits to help build toilets for those in need (so cool!)
- No inks, dyes or scents
- 100% plastic-free
- Biodegradable and septic safe
- The 3-ply paper is thinner, compared to conventional 3-ply roll
13. Green Cane
Green Cane Toilet Paper is plastic-free and is in 100% biodegradable and certified compostable packaging.
It is made with bamboo, sugarcane, and timber fiber, to ensure strength. Green Cane is 2-ply, and it has no inks, fragrances, or BPA.
Sourced: The sugarcane and bamboo are grown in rural parts of Southern China
Material: 80% mix of bamboo and recycled sugarcane, 20% of timber fiber
Size: 48 extra-long rolls
- Chlorine-free bleaching process
- Cheapest bamboo toilet paper
- 100% plastic-free
- It is a bit thinner
You can find Greencane in – Australia, New Zealand, the US, the UK, Czech Republic, Denmark.
- B Corp Certified
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Free from fertilizers, pesticides, fragrances & BPA
- A bit pricey
Based in the UK based, but they have online stores around the world, including – France, Germany, Ireland, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, the Netherlands, Finland, Hungary, Portugal, Gibraltar & Middle East!
Size: 24 or 48 extra-long rolls
- 100% plastic-free and minimal packaging
- A tree planted for each box purchased
- bleaching process that is free from chlorine
- Even though it is cheaper than the bamboo toilet paper products from this list, it’s still on the pricier side
16. Uranus Wipes
Uranus Wiper sells thick, 4-ply toilet rolls from recycled paper that would have ended up in landfills, meaning that they don’t cut new trees for their toilet paper!
Sourced: Manufactured in the EU
Material: 75% post-consumer waste paper, 25% origins in pre-consumer waste paper (waste paper material from virgin paper manufacturing processes)
Size: 45 rolls
- Septic safe and clog-free paper that decomposes in the sewage system fast
- Thick & strong, lint-free, antifungal, and hypoallergenic
- The toilet roll is smaller than a conventional product
Size: 8 or 48 rolls
- Unbleached and strong
- Resource-saving cultivation
Size: 8 rolls
- 100% plastic-free and sustainable
- The pack contains just 8 rolls
19. A Good Toilet Paper
A Good Company is a Swedish company, that sells climate-neutral and FSC Certified toilet paper made from pure bamboo pulp.
The 2-layer soft toilet paper contains no scents or dyes, and it arrives in a recycled Kraft Paper box.
Material: 100% sustainably grown bamboo
Size: 48-pack. 2-ply, 450 sheets
- Strong, soft and naturally antibacterial
- For every purchase you make, the company donates 4% to A Good Foundation.
- The toilet paper is made using hydropower with no added water during production.
- Carbon neutral shipping.
- The paper might feel a bit thin if you are used to using thicker ones. However, they also sell 3-ply (three layers) toilet paper, which costs a bit more.
It is the only toilet paper I’ve tried from this list.
I really like it and definitely recommend it mainly because it lasts a very long time – about 9 months (for 2 people) and the price is great.
You can purchase directly from their website. Use ALMOSTZERO10 at checkout for 10% OFF:
Toilet Paper Without Plastic -FAQ:
How long will it take to finish 24 rolls or 48 rolls?
It depends if you’re a hardcore toilet paper user or not, and which toilet paper you plan to get.
To make an average estimation, for a household of 2 people, you will go through 24 rolls in 3-4 months. 48 rolls, can last about 6-8 months.
Is sustainable & plastic-free toilet paper more expensive?
When compared with the prices for toilet paper in the supermarket, the cost of these plastic-free toilet paper products may seem a little high.
Let’s make a quick calculation, just for fun. If you are a household of 2 people:
- For 1 year, you will need 2 x 48 rolls of No.2 Bamboo toilet paper. That is $46 for 6 months and $92 for a year.
- For 1 year, you will need about 2.5 x 36 rolls of Georgia Pacific (Amazon’s choice – wrapped in plastic, 36 rolls sold for $61). For a year, that’s $152.
As you can see, it is possible to pay MORE, when buying not the most sustainable option, that’s also wrapped in plastic.
Of course, it also depends on your consumption, the thickness, and the absorbency of the toilet paper.
Sometimes, a plastic-free option means a bit more expensive, but often, the price difference will be between $5-$10.
When buying sustainable toilet paper that is a bit more expensive, you can try to even out the price difference:
- by being more responsible and using less of the toilet paper
- by using a bidet (more about that below!)
- due to the higher quality of the plastic-free & eco-friendly products, you may simply use less of the toilet paper anyway
How can I get toilet paper without plastic?
Finding plastic-free toilet paper in a regular store is near impossible. That’s why the best way is to order toilet paper in bulk, wrapped in paper instead of plastic. There are plenty of plastic-free options online.
What is the most environmentally friendly toilet paper?
100% recycled paper is the most environmentally-friendly option for toilet paper, not processed with chlorine.
A second, great sustainable alternative is bamboo, since it grows incredibly quickly, requires little water and no pesticides, and once it’s chopped down – it’ll grow back.
Does bamboo toilet paper block drains?
Bamboo toilet paper doesn’t contain any bleach or dyes, so it is safe to use in septic systems, boats, RVs, etc. Once you flush it, it will break down.
There MIGHT BE very few cases, in which people complain of block drains, but it’s hard to tell if it was the bamboo toilet paper, or the problem was existing from before.
Does bamboo toilet paper break down?
Bamboo tissue paper is 100% biodegradable, and it will dissolve naturally, without clogging up your pipes.
What can I use instead of toilet paper?
Toilet paper isn’t always the best and most hygienic thing. Instead of toilet paper, you can use… water!
By installing a bidet to your toilet, you will save up A LOT of toilet paper, and you will make your whole routine much more hygienic.
Additionally, you can try to use family cloth! The idea might be a bit weird, but in short, it is to use cloth rags to wipe yourself.
The best method is first to use water (bidet) and then the family cloth.
Afterward, you wash the family cloth; you can continually reuse the fabric.
Did I miss an eco-friendly & plastic-free toilet paper?
Leave a comment in the section below!