This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
Drinking water is essential for our well-being, but the purity of the water source is not the only important factor we need to consider.
There is an additional aspect when it comes to drinking water that is safe and healthy – the containers and bottles we store the water.
Did you know that many plastic bottles, reusable or single-use, can contain hazardous substances that can be dangerous for our health? So now the question appears –
What is the healthiest water bottle to use?
9 healthy and safe reusable water bottles are:
GRAYL: GeoPress Purifier
Brita Filtering Water Bottle
Crazy Cap UV Water Bottle Purifier
YETI Water Bottle
S’well Vacuum Insulated Bottle
Origin Glass Water Bottle
Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle
Let’s look at each individual water bottle, and figure what determines if a reusable water bottle is safe. We will go through:
- Non-toxic water bottles: 9 healthy & safe water bottles
- Which bottles are safe for drinking water, and WHY?
- Which are the best water bottle brands?
- What is the healthiest and the BEST material for a water bottle?
- How to clean your water bottle? (3 zero waste ways)
If you drink tap water, you probably also ingest plenty of unwanted chemicals and microplastics.
GeoPress will protect you from viruses, bacteria, protozoan cysts, and it will purify & remove nasty things such as pesticides, chemicals, heavy metals, and even microplastics.
A bonus point is that it will also improve the taste, smell, and clarity of the water! It can hold 24 ounces (710 ml) of water.
Ideal for traveling
If you live in an area with undrinkable water
If you simply want to drink the best water possible in your everyday life
GEOPRESS includes a ten (10) year warranty
They donate a minimum of 1% from every sale to environmental charities and non-profits
- GEOPRESS offers a zero-waste cartridge recycling program
- Easy to use
- Non-slip surfaces
- A bit pricey
Brita is a double-wall insulated 20oz stainless steel bottle. It includes a carbon filter, which reduces chlorine, and improves the taste & odor of the water. The filter lasts about 2-3 months, after that you have to change it.
at home, the office, events, hiking, traveling
Their stainless steel bottles should be hand-washed with mild soap
- built-in carrying loop
- one-handed push button lid
- it will keep your water cold for up to 24 hours
- it is easy to replace and insert the filter
- the filters are inexpensive, too
- Filtration system
- Affordable & convenient
- the top part and the place where you insert the filter is plastic (it is BPA free, but still)
- you have to change the filters every 2-3 months
The Crazy Cap is a pretty cool invention that will purify from any water source! It eliminates microbes and germs, with a push of a button.
Another cool aspect is that it is compatible with many popular bottle brands and their sizes. That’s why they also sell the cap separably.
Furthermore, the cap will last you at least 500,000 water treatments.
It’s easy to charge, and a single charge can last you a whole week!
It has two different modes of water purification.
Everyday usage, and ideal for traveling, especially to places with undrinkable tap water
From each purchase, they donate 5% to water.org
It was lab tested and certified by a 3rd party
The UV light is so strong that you can use it to disinfect other small objects, such as your phone!
- 99.999% water purification and sterilization
- It is kind of a self-cleaning bottle!
- Compatible with other water bottles
- Easy to use – there is no need for replacement filters
- A bit pricey
Klean Kanteen uses ONLY 3 sustainably harvested materials for their bottle: bamboo (the cap), stainless steel and food-grade silicone.
Their goal is to reduce single-use plastics, so make their products guaranteed to hold up to “whatever life throws at them”.
This model is 27oz, lightweight SINGLE WALL, which makes it perfect for everyday hydration.
They are a CERTIFIED 1% FOR THE PLANET member and B-CORP company!
Outdoor activities, traveling, work, home – anywhere and everywhere
- Lifetime warranty
- Durable & lightweight
- Sustainably sourced
Yeti is another excellent & affordable 26 oz stainless steel water bottle, with a few distinctions. It has a very wide cap, which makes it very easy to clean. Furthermore, Yeti is:
- double-wall vacuum isolated
- made with kitchen-grade stainless steel
- dishwasher safe
- with leakproof cap
Outdoors and everyday activities
They have cute kid bottle sizes, too
- It has different sizes
- Easy to clean
- Keeps the liquid cold for a long time
Hydro Flask is double-walled, so it will keep your liquids cold up to 24 hours and hot for about 6 hours. A lifetime warranty also covers the bottle!
It has a special coating which is easy-grip & sweat-free. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t put it in the freezer. If you want freezing water, put some ice cubes instead.
Outdoor activities, traveling, at home & the office/gym
They have different sizes including 18, 21, and 24 oz
- Easy to clean
- Well isolated – keeps the water cold up to 24 hours
- Doesn’t sweat!
- Durable and easy to carry due to the handle
- Scratches are not covered by the lifetime warranty
S’well is offering plenty of cool designed water bottles, that are vacuum Insulated. They have triple-layered construction, which will keep beverages cold for up to 24 hours or hot for up to 12 hours.
This particular model is 17 oz, it is made from high-grade stainless steel, and it is condensation-free.
Everywhere – if you are on the road, or simply sipping from your home, or office
They offer different sizes, including 9 oz & 25 oz
S’well products are NOT dishwasher safe – hand wash only
- Cool design
- Cold or hot beverages will keep their temperature for an extended period
- They offer replacement caps on their website
- The mouth opening is smaller, so it might be harder to wash the bottle
Origin bottle is 24 oz, and it is made with borosilicate glass, which is known to be much more resistant to extreme temperatures, and more durable in general. It is chemical-free, leakproof, durable, and lightweight.
Drink at home, at the gym, or the office, outdoors for taking a walk, having a picnic, etc.
90-day lid guarantee – if your lid breaks, they will replace it immediately
Always wash the bamboo lid by hand
Origin gives 2% of revenue to non-profit water well drilling in rural Ghana
- Wide mouth size for easier cleaning
- It has silicone protective sleeve
- Not as strong as other materials
- Not ideal for rough outdoor activities
This silicone leakproof reusable bottle has a great design, and it is ideal for travelers. It is entirely toxin-free, made with BPA-free silicone.
Once unrolled, it retains its shape, making it easy to grip, drink from, or clean. The fluid-capacity is 22oz.
Outdoor activities, traveling
The best way to clean it is with warm soapy water
- Secured leak-free cap
- Lifetime warranty
- Freezable & heat resistant
- 100% non-toxic materials
#BONUS Binge bottles
OK, I found this in the end and it was impossible to not feature it! Anyway, who doesn’t like bonuses?
Binge bottles are a similar stainless steel water bottle, that is double isolated and it will keep the liquid inside cold/warm for 24h/12h.
But that’s not the special part about them. Binge bottles have a SECRET storage compartment on the bottom part!
This is an amazing benefit because a lot of people complain that they often forget to grab their water bottles when they are going out.
Binge bottle can make it EASIER for you, because you can use the storage for essential things, that you can’t forget when going outside, such as your key, wallet, or phone.
This is quite innovative and cool way to remember to take your bottle with you!
Outdoor activities and traveling! A perfect secret spot to hide essentials that you don’t want to loose
They offer two sizes: 20 & 24 oz liquid capacity
- Waterproof & scent-proof storage compartment (3.3″ H x 3.2″ W)
- Zero condensation
- Vacuum isolated
- A bit bigger & heavier
2. Which bottles are safe for drinking water, and WHY?
We can drink water from a glass, stainless steel or aluminum, silicone, and single-use or reusable plastic bottles.
But which one is the safest? Let’s take a look at each type of water bottle individually:
Plastic water bottles:
Single-use plastic water bottles are not manufactured for long-term use. It is dangerous to reuse them for a few reasons. A single-use plastic bottle can:
- leach unwanted chemicals in the water
- grow bacteria inside
- increases the possibility of ingesting microplastics
Furthermore, even though reusable plastic bottles are made to be reused, they hold similar concerns, too.
The biggest problem is the chemicals they use, during the manufacturing process, such as:
- Bisphenol-A (BPA) – a human-made chemical that is a standard building block in resins. It is known to have hormone-disrupting properties
- BPA Substitutes (BPS) – For instance, BHFP is a chemical, frequently used in BPA-free water bottles. Studies showed that it can cause uterine problems, miscarriages and that it can be toxic
- Phthalates – plastic softeners, which are not tightly bound to the other molecules in the plastic, it is possible to “migrate” into the beverage, thus into our bodies
As it turns out, even if it is a BPA-free bottle doesn’t make a plastic product safe.
That’s because when a “bad” disruptive to our bodies chemical is removed, it is often replaced by others that look and act similarly in our bodies.
The reusable plastic bottle is not the best choice, but in case you already own one, please don’t throw it away! Simply take good care of it, which means:
- wash it often (every 1-2 days will be best)
- make sure there are no small cracks or scratches inside the bottle
In case you don’t want to use it – give it to someone or donate it.
Aluminum water bottles:
Aluminum bottles look very similar to stainless steel but are quite different. Some of the differences can be weight, design, safety, and cost.
Usually, most aluminum bottles won’t keep the water cold for too long.
Aluminum is also lighter, but one of the most essential and main difference is that aluminum is reactive with acidic liquids.
Because of that, aluminum bottles include a “barrier” and are lined with enamel or epoxy resin.
Unfortunately, epoxy resin (commonly used to line food and beverage cans) is likely to contain BPA. This makes you exposed to BPA, which is not very good for your health due to its endocrine-disrupting properties.
Of course, with a bit of digging, you can find aluminum reusable water bottles free of BPA.
Stainless steel water bottle:
Stainless steel is non-reactive and neutral metal, which doesn’t need any lining. Furthermore, food-grade stainless steel is one of the safest materials. Some additional advantages of stainless steel bottles are:
- long-lasting & durable
- often are isolated, which offers resistance to high or low temperatures
- keeps the liquid cold/warm
Moreover, there are no known safety concerns associated with using stainless steel.
A small “disadvantage” is that it may bring changes in the taste and odor of the liquid, or to give it a bit of “metallic” taste. Never had this issue, but heard some people were noticing it.
Silicone water bottle:
Medical grade silicone is used for a variety of things, including water bottles. The positive aspects of these bottles are that they are lightweight, collapsable, and BPA free.
They are ideal for traveling since once it’s empty, you can fold it and it will take very little space. However, they are not always efficient and easy to use/clean. Also, some can’t hold hot beverages.
That’s why the design and usability matters.
Glass water bottle:
Glass water bottles are chemical-free, and dishwasher safe.
Another positive aspect is that it won’t change the taste of the liquid – it will keep the taste neutral, and it won’t give them plastic or metallic flavor!
A distinct disadvantage is that glass is the most fragile material – if you drop it, you might break it.
However, some glass bottles can withstand high and low temps without shattering and is lighter and less prone to break.
For instance, some glass bottles, like the Origin water bottle have silicone sleeves, which protect the glass, and it reduces the possible slippage.
All in all, which bottle is the safest for drinking water?
The stainless steel water bottles and the glass bottles are 2 of the safest options you can choose.
Silicone and aluminum are the next choices.
Lastly, it is a reusable plastic bottle.
Which are the best water bottle brands?
Honestly, there isn’t a “best” one. The main differences between these water bottles are the specifications, design, size, materials, the ethics of the companies.
The most environmentally friendly and ethical water bottle:
- Klean Kanteen and GRAYL might be the best decision
The cheapest water bottle:
- Origin Glass Water Bottle
The healthiest water bottle:
- GRAYL, CrazyCap & Brita
The best travel water bottle:
- GRAYL or Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle
The best water bottle for kids:
- 9oz S’well or 12oz YETI
The best to keep the water cold:
- S’well and Hydro Flask
The best bottle that doesn’t change the water taste:
- Origin Glass Water Bottle
- GRAYL, Brita, Crazy Cap
In general, each of these water bottle brands may have different pros and cons, depending on what you are looking for.
What is the healthiest and the best material for a water bottle?
The best material should be durable, toxic-free, long-lasting, affordable, isolated, light, odor, and taste resistant; according to all the specifications, stainless steel is probably the best material.
It might be a bit heavier than aluminum, but all in all, it has the most significant specifications.
How to clean your water bottle?
For everyday washes:
- Use warm, soapy water and fill the bottle halfway.
- Place the cap and give it a good shake.
- Remove the cap and empty the bottle. If you have a brush, use it to reach the bottom of the container.
- Once done, scrubbing, wash the water bottle in warm water until you remove all the soap bubbles.
- Wash the exterior of the bottle as well.
- Let it dry thoroughly.
For once in a while, use distilled white vinegar OR soda:
- Fill your bottle equal parts distilled white vinegar water.
- Put the cap and give it a few shakes before letting it sit throughout the night.
- The next day, be sure to rinse out the water bottle and the lid thoroughly with warm water.
- Let it dry.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda with a small amount of warm water to form a scrubbing paste.
- Dip the bristles of a long brush in the paste. Then start scrubbing inside of the bottle. This works great if there are some stains you want to remove. Repeat, until stains disappear.
- Remove the paste with some warm soapy water and leave the bottle to dry.
The second option is an excellent method to clean stainless-steel water bottles.
DO NOT use bleach or chlorine to clean the water bottles: Those chemicals may ruin the materials, and rust the stainless steel.
IF YOU ORDER ANYTHING FROM AMAZON, it is best to first contact their customer service, and ask them to ship any of your future products in 100% recyclable and plastic-free packaging.
As you can see, there are plenty of options, and amazing reusable water bottles, for different needs.
Do you have another recommendation, or do you have a different water bottle?