This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
What is the safest & healthiest water bottle to use?
This article will go through 9 safe water bottle brands and figure out how to determine if a water bottle is healthy for long-term use.
We will go through:
- The healthiest water bottles to use: 9 safe reusable water bottles
– Which reusable bottle is the safest for drinking water?
– Which are the best water bottle brands?
– What is the healthiest material for a reusable water bottle?
– How to clean your water bottle? (3 zero waste ways)
The Healthiest Water Bottles: 9 Safe Water Bottle Options
GeoPress is my all-time favorite.
It is an incredible bottle that purifies the water from viruses, and bacteria.
It will remove nasty things such as pesticides, chemicals, heavy metals, and even microplastics.
GeoPress purifier will also improve the taste, smell, and clarity of the water. It can hold 24 ounces (710 ml).
It is an ideal choice if you travel (or live) in an area with undrinkable water.
- GEOPRESS offers a zero-waste cartridge recycling program
- Practical and durable
- Non-slip surfaces
- 10 year warranty
- 1% from every sale goes to environmental charities
The filter lasts about 2-3 months, after that you have to change it.
Their stainless steel bottles should be hand-washed with mild soap.
- built-in carrying loop
- one-handed push button lid
- keeps water cold for up to 24 hours
- easy to replace and insert the filter
- affordable filters
- You have to change the filters every 2-3 months
The cap is easy to charge, and it is compatible with many popular bottle brands and their sizes.
Furthermore, the cap will last you at least 500,000 water treatments.
A single charge can last you a whole week.
- 99.9% water purification
- A self-cleaning bottle
- Compatible with other water bottles
- Easy to use – no need for replacement filters
- From each purchase, they donate 5% to water.org
- A bit pricey
Klean Kanteen uses only 3 sustainably harvested materials for their bottle:
- bamboo (the cap)
- stainless steel
- and food-grade silicone
Their goal is to reduce single-use plastics, so make their products guaranteed to hold up to “whatever life throws at them”.
This model is 16 oz, lightweight SINGLE WALL, which makes it perfect for everyday hydration.
Additionally, Klean Kanteen is a CERTIFIED 1% FOR THE PLANET member and B-CORP company.
- Lifetime warranty
- Durable & lightweight
- Sustainably sourced
- It is a single wall and it won’t keep the liquid cold/warm for long (however, they also have double-walled water bottles on Amazon)
Yeti is another excellent affordable 26 oz stainless steel water bottle.
It has a very wide cap, which makes it very easy to clean.
Yeti water bottles are double-wall vacuum isolated, and it is made with kitchen-grade stainless steel.
The bottle is dishwasher safe and they also offer various sizes and shapes.
So, if this one is a bit too big for you, I recommend checking some of their other options.
- Different sizes (kid bottles, too)
- Easy to clean
- Keeps the liquid cold for a long time
- Leakproof cap
- Not ideal for walking around, since it is a bit too big (you can check smaller sizes on Amazon)
If you want freezing water, put some ice cubes – do not put it in the freezer.
They have different sizes including 18, 21, and 24 oz.
- Easy to clean
- Well isolated – keeps the water cold up to 24 hours
- Doesn’t sweat
- Durable and easy to carry due to the handle
- A lifetime warranty
- Scratches are not covered by the lifetime warranty
S’well is offering plenty of cool designed water bottles, that are vacuum insulated.
They have triple-layered construction, which will keep beverages cold for up to 24 hours or hot for up to 12 hours.
This particular model is 17 oz, but they offer other sizes, too. The bottles are made from high-grade stainless steel, and are condensation-free.
S’well products are NOT dishwasher safe – hand wash only.
- Cool design
- Cold or hot beverages will keep their temperature for an extended period
- They offer replacement caps on their website
- The mouth opening is smaller, so it might be harder to wash the bottle
Love Mandala Water bottle is 16.9 oz (500ml), and it is made with recycled glass and stainless steel, ceramic & silicone lid.
The bottle is chemical-free, leak-proof, durable, and lightweight.
Love Bottle donates 5% of every purchase to Global Water, which helps bring safe drinking water to those who need it.
- Leakproof, scratch-resistant and dishwasher safe
- A wide range of different designs
- Not as strong as other materials
- Not ideal for rough outdoor activities
Once unrolled, it retains its shape, making it easy to grip, drink from, or clean. The fluid-capacity is 22 oz.
The best way to clean it is with warm soapy water.
- Secured leak-free cap
- Lifetime warranty
- Freezable & heat resistant
- 100% non-toxic materials
- A bit hard to fold
- If the water is too long in the bottle, it may have an odd taste
10. BONUS – Binge bottles
Binge bottles are a double isolated stainless steel water bottle.
But the special thing about them is that they have a SECRET storage compartment on the bottom part!
This is an amazing benefit because a lot of people often forget to grab their water bottles when they are going out.
Binge bottle can be a great option, because you can use the storage for things, that you can’t forget when going out, such as your key, wallet, or phone.
This is quite innovative and cool way to remember to take your bottle with you.
- Waterproof & scent-proof storage compartment
- Zero condensation
- Vacuum isolated – keeps the liquid cold/warm for 24h/12h
- A bit bigger & heavier
What is the healthiest water bottle to use: FAQ
Which reusable bottle is the safest for drinking water?
Glass and stainless steel water bottles are the safest option.
After that it’s – silicon and aluminum. Lastly, it is a reusable plastic bottle.
Which are the best water bottle brands?
There isn’t a “best” one. The main differences between these water bottles are the specifications, design, size, materials, the ethics of the companies.
- The most environmentally friendly and ethical water bottle: Klean Kanteen and GRAYL.
- The cheapest water bottle: Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle & Love Water Bottle.
- The healthiest water bottle: Purifying bottles like GRAYL, CrazyCap & Brita.
- The best travel water bottle: GRAYL or Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle.
- The best water bottle for kids: 9 oz S’well or 12 oz YETI.
- The best to keep the water cold: S’well and Hydro Flask.
- The best bottle that doesn’t change the water taste: Love Water Bottle and the purifying bottles – GRAYL, Brita, Crazy Cap.
In general, each of these water bottle brands may have different pros and cons, depending on what you are looking for.
What is the healthiest and the best material for a reusable water bottle?
The best material should be durable, toxic-free, long-lasting, affordable, isolated, light, odor, and taste resistant.
According to all the specifications, stainless steel is the best material.
Glass is another great option, however, it isn’t as durable as stainless steel.
How to clean your water bottle for everyday use?
For everyday washes:
- Use warm, soapy water and fill the bottle halfway.
- Place the cap and give it a good shake.
- Remove the cap and empty the bottle.
- If you have a brush, use it to reach the bottom of the container.
- Once done, scrubbing, wash the water bottle in warm water until you remove all the soap bubbles.
- Wash the exterior of the bottle as well. Let it dry thoroughly.
How to deep-clean your water bottle, once in a while?
Use distilled white vinegar OR soda:
- Fill your bottle equal parts distilled white vinegar water.
- Put the cap and give it a few shakes before letting it sit throughout the night.
- The next day, be sure to rinse out the water bottle and the lid thoroughly with warm water. Let it dry.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda with a small amount of warm water to form a scrubbing paste.
- Dip the bristles of a long brush in the paste. Then start scrubbing inside of the bottle. This works great if there are some stains you want to remove. Repeat, until stains disappear.
- Remove the paste with some warm soapy water and leave the bottle to dry.
- The second option is an excellent method to clean stainless-steel water bottles.
- DO NOT use bleach or chlorine to clean the water bottles: Those chemicals may ruin the materials, and rust the stainless steel.
If you order anything from Amazon, it is best to first contact their customer service, and ask them to ship any of your future products in 100% recyclable and plastic-free packaging.
As you can see, there are amazing, reusable, and safe water bottle brands, for different needs.
Do you have another recommendation, or do you have a different water bottle?
Share in the comments below!