This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
What is the safest & healthiest water bottle to use?
Glass and stainless steel bottles are the safest and most durable, with glass being non-toxic and giving “purify of taste” benefits and stainless steel providing toxin-free, durability, taste resistance, and isolation benefits.
However, some companies go the extra mile and offer unique and safe water bottles that purify water, even from undrinkable sources.
In this article, you can find 9 of the safest water bottle options for long-term use, divided into three categories –
- Water bottles with purification systems or filters
- Stainless steel water bottles
- Other plastic-free water bottles
In the end, you can find tips on how to pick the best water bottle for you and how to keep it clean. Now, let’s begin!
9 Of The Safest & Healthiest Water Bottles:
GRAYL water bottles are one of my all-time favorite options when it comes to health.
GRAYL GeoPress is an incredible bottle that purifies water from viruses and bacteria.
It will remove nasty things such as pesticides, chemicals, heavy metals, and even microplastics.
Grayl water purifier will also improve the water’s taste, smell, and clarity. They have a few sizes – 16.9 oz (500 ml) and 24 oz (710 ml). It is an ideal choice if you travel (or live) in an area with undrinkable water.
I got as a present for my birthday their 16.9 oz UltraPress, and I take it with me when I travel to places with undrinkable water, which allows me to avoid buying plastic water bottles!
- Grayl offers a zero-waste cartridge recycling program
- Ideal for hiking and camping
- Practical and durable
- Different sizes
- Non-slip surfaces & easy to use
- 10-year warranty
- 1% of every sale goes to environmental charities
- It is on the pricier side, and the cartridge needs to be replaced periodically
You can watch my short video where I show how to use the bottle:
Brita is a double-wall, filtering, and insulated 20 oz stainless steel bottle.
It includes a carbon filter, which reduces chlorine, and improves the taste & odor of the water.
The filter lasts about 2-3 months, so you have to change it. Their stainless steel bottles should be hand-washed with mild soap.
- Built-in carrying loop
- One-handed push button lid
- Keeps water cold for up to 24 hours
- Easy to replace and insert the filter
- Affordable filters
- You have to change the filters every 2-3 months
The Crazy Cap UV will purify water from any water source, which makes it another great, healthy, and safe choice. It eliminates microbes and germs with a push of a button!
The cap is easy to charge, compatible with many popular bottle brands and sizes, and lasts at least 500,000 water treatments. A single charge can last you a whole week.
- 99.9% water purification
- A self-cleaning bottle
- Compatible with other water bottles
- Easy to use – no need for replacement filters
- From each purchase, they donate 5% to water.org
- A bit pricey
LifeStraw purifies and removers 99.99999% of bacteria, parasites, microplastics, chlorine, organic chemicals, sand, dirt, and turbidity.
The filter will provide you with healthy drinkable water wherever you are. The bottle is extremely durable, and it also improves the taste of the water.
It can filter up to 4,000 liters of water, has a double wall, and keeps water at a cool temperature all day. While LifeStraw has a couple of different water bottle options made with plastic, this model is made with stainless steel (but keep in mind that the filter is still plastic).
- For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe water for an entire school year
- It is rigorously & independently lab tested
- Designed for long-term use
- Ideal for hiking and camping
- You should change the charcoal filter every 3 or so months
Klean Kanteen uses only 3 sustainably harvested materials for their bottle – bamboo (the cap), stainless steel, and food-grade silicone.
Their goal is to reduce single-use plastics, so make their products guaranteed to hold up to “whatever life throws at them.”
This model is 16 oz, lightweight SINGLE WALL, which makes it perfect for everyday hydration.
- Lifetime warranty
- Durable & lightweight
- Sustainably sourced
- A Certified 1% For The Planet member
- A B-CORP company
- It is a single wall, and it won’t keep the liquid cold/warm for long (however, they also have double-walled water bottles on Amazon)
Yeti is another excellent affordable 26 oz stainless steel water bottle. It has a very wide cap, making it easy to clean.
Yeti water bottles are double-wall vacuum isolated and made with kitchen-grade stainless steel.
The bottle is dishwasher safe, and if this one is too big for you, you can pick some of their other sizes.
- Different sizes (kid bottles, too)
- Easy to clean
- Keeps the liquid cold for a long time
- Leakproof cap
- Not ideal for walking around since it is a bit too big (you can check smaller sizes on Amazon)
7. Hydro Flask
Hydro Flask is double-walled, so it will keep your liquids cold for up to 24 hours and hot for about 6 hours.
It has a special coating that is easy-grip & sweat-free. If you want freezing water, put some ice cubes – do not put it in the freezer. They have different sizes, including 18, 21, and 24 oz.
- Easy to clean
- Well isolated – keeps the water cold for up to 24 hours
- Doesn’t sweat
- Durable and easy to carry due to the handle
- A lifetime warranty
- The lifetime warranty does not cover scratches
8. Yomious Glass Bottle
Yomious glass bottle is made of Borosilicate glass which is extremely durable.
It also has a silicone sleeve, making it easy to carry.
The lid is made of bamboo and stainless steel, and a silicone O-ring seal makes the bottle spill-proof.
- Leakproof, scratch-resistant, and dishwasher safe
- Taste resistant
- 90-day money-back guarantee
- Not ideal for hikes or more rough outdoor activities
This silicone leak-proof reusable bottle has a great design and is ideal for travelers. It is toxin-free and made with BPA-free silicone.
Once unrolled, it retains its shape, making it easy to grip, drink from, or clean. The fluid capacity is 22 oz. The best way to clean it is with warm soapy water.
- Secured leak-free cap
- Lifetime warranty
- Freezable & heat resistant
- 100% non-toxic materials
- Great for hikes and traveling
- A bit hard to fold
- If the water is too long in the bottle, it may have an odd taste
How to pick a water bottle?
There isn’t a “best” one; the main differences between these water bottles are the specifications, design, size, materials, and ethics.
Each water bottle may have different pros and cons, depending on what you are looking for. Consider your lifestyle and decide which water bottle will be the most useful for you:
- The most environmentally friendly and ethical water bottle: Klean Kanteen and GRAYL.
- The cheapest water bottle: Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle & Love Water Bottle.
- The healthiest water bottle: Purifying bottles like GRAYL, CrazyCap & Brita.
- The best travel water bottle: GRAYL or Nomader collapsible water bottle.
- The best water bottle for kids: 12 oz YETI.
- The best to keep the water cold: Hydro Flask, or YETI.
- The best bottle that doesn’t change the water taste: The Yomious glass water bottle and the purifying bottles – GRAYL, Brita, and Crazy Cap.
How to clean your water bottle for everyday use?
For everyday washes, do the following:
- Use warm, soapy water and fill the bottle halfway.
- Place the cap and give it a good shake.
- Remove the cap and empty the bottle.
- If you have a brush, use it to reach the bottom of the container.
- Once done, scrub and wash the water bottle in warm water until you remove all the soap bubbles.
- Wash the exterior of the bottle as well. Let it dry thoroughly.
How to deep-clean your water bottle?
Once in a while, you can deep-clean your water bottle with distilled white vinegar or baking soda.
- Fill your bottle with equal parts of distilled white vinegar water.
- Put on the cap and give it a few shakes. Leave it to sit for an hour or so.
- After that, rinse out the water bottle and the lid thoroughly with warm water. Let it dry.
With baking soda:
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda with warm water to form a scrubbing paste.
- Dip the bristles of a long brush in the paste. Then start scrubbing the inside of the bottle. This works great if there are some stains you want to remove. Repeat until stains disappear.
- Remove the paste with warm, soapy water and leave the bottle dry.
Side note: Do not use bleach or chlorine to clean your water bottle. Those chemicals may ruin the material and rust the stainless steel.
As you can see, there are amazing, reusable, and safe water bottle brands for different needs.
Do you have another recommendation, or do you have a different water bottle? Share in the comments below!