This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
What is the safest & healthiest water bottle to use?
In this article, you can find 9 safe water bottle options and you will learn how to determine if a water bottle is healthy for long-term use.
The water bottles will be divided into three categories:
- Water bottles with purification systems or filters
- Stainless steel water bottles
- Other plastic-free water bottles
We will also go through some frequently asked questions, such as:
- Which reusable bottle is the safest?
- Which is the best water bottle?
- What is the healthiest material for a reusable water bottle?
- How to clean your water bottle? (3 zero waste ways)
Okay, now let’s begin!
9 Of The Safest & Healthiest Water Bottles:
GRAYL water bottles are one of my all-time favorite options when it comes to health.
GRAYL GeoPress is an incredible bottle that purifies the water from viruses, and bacteria.
It will remove nasty things such as pesticides, chemicals, heavy metals, and even microplastics.
GeoPress purifier will also improve the taste, smell, and clarity of the water. It can hold 24 ounces (710 ml). It is an ideal choice if you travel (or live) in an area with undrinkable water.
The bottle is made with polypropylene. The key difference between polypropylene and plastic is that it can be used to produce crystal clear material from polypropylene, whereas plastic material is not usually clear.
- GeoPress offers a zero-waste cartridge recycling program
- Ideal for hiking, and camping
- Practical and durable
- Different sizes
- Non-slip surfaces
- 10-year warranty
- 1% from every sale goes to environmental charities
- It is on the pricier side, and the cartridge needs to be replaced periodically
The filter lasts about 2-3 months, after that, you have to change it. Their stainless steel bottles should be hand-washed with mild soap.
- Built-in carrying loop
- One-handed push button lid
- Keeps water cold for up to 24 hours
- Easy to replace and insert the filter
- Affordable filters
- You have to change the filters every 2-3 months
The cap is easy to charge, and it is compatible with many popular bottle brands and their sizes.
Furthermore, the cap will last you at least 500,000 water treatments. A single charge can last you a whole week.
- 99.9% water purification
- A self-cleaning bottle
- Compatible with other water bottles
- Easy to use – no need for replacement filters
- From each purchase, they donate 5% to water.org
- A bit pricey
The filter will provide you with healthy drinkable water wherever you are. The bottle is extremely durable, and it also improves the taste of the water.
It can filter up to 4,000 liters of water, and it has a double wall and will keep water at a cool temperature all day.
While LifeStraw has a couple of different water bottle options that are made with plastic, this model is made with stainless steel (but keep in mind that the filter is still plastic).
- For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe water for an entire school year
- It is rigorously & independently lab tested
- Designed for long-term use
- Ideal for hiking, and camping
- You should change the charcoal filter every 3 or so months
Their goal is to reduce single-use plastics, so make their products guaranteed to hold up to “whatever life throws at them”.
This model is 16 oz, lightweight SINGLE WALL, which makes it perfect for everyday hydration.
Additionally, Klean Kanteen is a CERTIFIED 1% FOR THE PLANET member and B-CORP company.
- Lifetime warranty
- Durable & lightweight
- Sustainably sourced
- It is a single wall and it won’t keep the liquid cold/warm for long (however, they also have double-walled water bottles on Amazon)
Yeti is another excellent affordable 26 oz stainless steel water bottle.
It has a very wide cap, which makes it very easy to clean.
Yeti water bottles are double-wall vacuum isolated, and it is made with kitchen-grade stainless steel.
The bottle is dishwasher safe and they also offer various sizes and shapes.
So, if this one is a bit too big for you, I recommend checking some of their other options.
- Different sizes (kid bottles, too)
- Easy to clean
- Keeps the liquid cold for a long time
- Leakproof cap
- Not ideal for walking around, since it is a bit too big (you can check smaller sizes on Amazon)
If you want freezing water, put some ice cubes – do not put it in the freezer.
They have different sizes including 18, 21, and 24 oz.
- Easy to clean
- Well isolated – keeps the water cold up to 24 hours
- Doesn’t sweat
- Durable and easy to carry due to the handle
- A lifetime warranty
- Scratches are not covered by the lifetime warranty
Love Mandala Water bottle is 16.9 oz (500ml), and it is made with recycled glass and stainless steel, ceramic & silicone lid.
The bottle is chemical-free, leak-proof, durable, and lightweight.
Love Bottle donates 5% of every purchase to Global Water, which helps bring safe drinking water to those who need it.
- Leakproof, scratch-resistant, and dishwasher safe
- A wide range of different designs
- Not as strong as other materials
- Not ideal for hikes, or more rough outdoor activities
Once unrolled, it retains its shape, making it easy to grip, drink from, or clean. The fluid capacity is 22 oz.
The best way to clean it is with warm soapy water.
- Secured leak-free cap
- Lifetime warranty
- Freezable & heat resistant
- 100% non-toxic materials
- Great for hikes, and traveling
- A bit hard to fold
- If the water is too long in the bottle, it may have an odd taste
Which reusable bottle is the safest?
Glass and stainless steel water bottles are the safest options. After that, it’s – silicon and aluminum. Lastly, it is a reusable plastic bottle.
Which is the best water bottle?
There isn’t a “best” one. The main differences between these water bottles are the specifications, design, size, materials, and the ethics of the companies.
- The most environmentally friendly and ethical water bottle: Klean Kanteen and GRAYL.
- The cheapest water bottle: Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle & Love Water Bottle.
- The healthiest water bottle: Purifying bottles like GRAYL, CrazyCap & Brita.
- The best travel water bottle: GRAYL or Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle.
- The best water bottle for kids: 12 oz YETI.
- The best to keep the water cold: Hydro Flask, or YETI.
- The best bottle that doesn’t change the water taste: Love Water Bottle and the purifying bottles – GRAYL, Brita, Crazy Cap.
In general, each of these water bottle brands may have different pros and cons, depending on what you are looking for.
What is the healthiest and the best material for a reusable water bottle?
Stainless steel is the best material; it is durable, chemical-free, toxin-free, long-lasting, isolated, light, odorless, and taste resistant. Glass is another great option, since it doesn’t get affected by any flavor, giving it a “purity of taste” benefit, however, it isn’t as durable as stainless steel.
How to clean your water bottle for everyday use?
For everyday washes:
- Use warm, soapy water and fill the bottle halfway.
- Place the cap and give it a good shake.
- Remove the cap and empty the bottle.
- If you have a brush, use it to reach the bottom of the container.
- Once done, scrub, and wash the water bottle in warm water until you remove all the soap bubbles.
- Wash the exterior of the bottle as well. Let it dry thoroughly.
How to deep-clean your water bottle, once in a while?
You can deep-clean your water bottle either with distilled white vinegar or baking soda.
Option 1 – With vinegar:
- Fill your bottle with equal parts of distilled white vinegar water.
- Put the cap and give it a few shakes before letting it sit throughout the night.
- The next day, be sure to rinse out the water bottle and the lid thoroughly with warm water. Let it dry.
Option 2 – With baking soda:
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda with a small amount of warm water to form a scrubbing paste.
- Dip the bristles of a long brush in the paste. Then start scrubbing the inside of the bottle. This works great if there are some stains you want to remove. Repeat, until stains disappear.
- Remove the paste with some warm soapy water and leave the bottle to dry.
Do not use bleach or chlorine to clean your water bottle. Those chemicals may ruin the material, and rust the stainless steel.
Additionally, if you order anything from Amazon, it is best to first contact their customer service, and ask them if it will be possible to ship future orders in 100% recyclable, plastic-free packaging.
As you can see, there are amazing, reusable, and safe water bottle brands, for different needs.
Do you have another recommendation, or do you have a different water bottle?
Share in the comments below!