This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
What are the BEST zero waste deodorant brands?
In this article, you can find sustainable and plastic-free deodorants, that WORK extremely well.
While these natural deodorants won’t stop the sweat, they will stop the odor, caused by the bacteria on your armpits.
We are going to explore 15 plastic-free & zero waste deodorants, including options that are ideal for:
- Sensitive skin (no baking soda)
- Both men and women
In the end, you will find how to make 4 DIY deodorants at home, an FAQ section, and 2 final tips!
Now, let’s begin.
15 Zero waste deodorant brands:
This sustainable & baking-soda-free deodorant is made with organic ingredients, that are ideal for all skin types, including sensitive ones.
Bai-li zero waste deodorants are made in small batches, and the packaging is 100% compostable paper tube.
Since it contains no baking soda, it is ideal for sensitive skin.
- Choose between 3 different scents
- Nourishing and moisturizing the skin
- Even though it looks small, the deodorant can last you between 1-3 months (depending on how much and how often you apply it)
Fat And The Moon is a natural & zero waste deodorant cream, with arrowroot powder, antimicrobial oils.
It contains no aluminum or heavy metals and comes in a glass jar.
This zero waste deodorant contains no baking soda, but it still does an amazing job at keeping your armpits dry and stank-free.
- Sustainable, handmade, and ethically crafted
- Made in small batches
- Contains antimicrobial essential oils
This Natural Salt Stone deodorant is natural, safe, and effective at inhibiting the growth of bacteria.
This stone fights odor and bacteria naturally, as it doesn’t contain alcohol, perfumes, or aluminum.
You have to apply it wet to clean skin. Then, dry it, and repeat.
- leaves an invisible layer of protection, and prevents odor-causing bacteria from forming
- leaves a feeling of freshness, without clogging up your pores
- long-lasting – one stick lasts anywhere from 6-12 months (depending on the frequency of usage
Meow Meow Tweet deodorant is cruelty-free, aluminum & baking soda free, made with certified organic & fair trade ingredients.
Its creamy, balm-like texture is great for sensitive skin.
The zero waste deodorant contains arrowroot powder, which neutralizes odor.
- ideal for on the go odor-control
- 100% palm oil-free
Meow Meow Tweet offers a plastic-free deodorant cream, that’s aluminum-free and sensitive-skin approved!
The powers of magnesium and arrowroot starch absorb excess moisture and keep odors at bay.
The scents are providing a sweet and calming smell.
- 100% palm oil free
- made with certified organic and fair trade ingredients
- sometimes it will be necessary to reapply it if you tend to get quite sweaty (and stinky)
Wild is a sustainable, aluminum-free deodorant, that is 100% plastic-free.
It comes in a reusable aluminum case, and once you finish it all up, you can order plastic-free compostable refills.
They have many different scents and you can order packs of either 3, 6, or 9 refills.
While they use small amounts of soda bicarbonate, Wild assures that their deodorant is suitable for sensitive skin. However, people with more acidic sweat may be more susceptible to irritation.
The deodorant contains moisturizing ingredients like coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, and sunflower seed wax, to soothe and nourish the skin.
- Various scents that you can mix and match
- Keeps you fresh and dry
- Refill system
- Each refill will last around 4-6 weeks with daily use
Dirty hippie is another Etsy store that sells unique plastic-free deodorants.
They have 4 scents, one of which is baking soda-free! Their baking soda-free deodorant is ideal for sensitive skin.
Their natural & probiotic deodorant is aluminum and toxin-free.
- organic materials
- 100% vegan probiotics
- non-irritating bacteria-fighting agents
- made in small batches
Forever Fresh is a zero waste & organic deodorant, with a refreshing scent, and no nasty synthetic substances, or aluminum!
It has a creamy texture, so during the summer, or high temperatures, the deodorant can melt.
- aluminum & synthetic-free
- easy to spread
- it may not be the best for sensitive skin (because of the baking soda)
T’eo is full of sweat-absorbing powders and odor-neutralizing essential oils.
The deodorant combats bacteria and microbes to keep you smelling fresh.
Aromaco has the most active ingredients that eliminate microbes and odor-causing bacteria, while it also tightens pores and soothes the skin.
I tried both of these, and while I enjoyed the scent of T’eo more, Aromaco worked better for my skin.
- help keep you naturally fresh
- great products as they allow your body to sweat freely without smelling bad
- may not work for everybody, and some people complain that the bars are falling apart after some time (however, I didn’t experience this problem)
Ben and Anna’s zero waste deodorant works gently against moisture & odor and promotes freshness throughout the day.
It is smooth, easy to apply, and never greasy or sticky! It contains only natural ingredients, and it works well with sensitive skin.
However, keep in mind that it contains baking soda.
- soothing properties and no chemical stabilizers
- protects against moisture and odor
- solid consistency
Chagrin Valley’s organic natural stick deodorant absorbs into your skin to help you stay fresh with a refreshing scent.
It contains baking soda so that it may feel a bit abrasive at first.
- certified organic materials
- long-lasting with anti-bacterial properties that prevent odor
- it is a bit hard to apply. For best results, hold the stick on your armpit for a few seconds before applying – this will warm up the deodorant for a smoother application
Ethique sells one of the best plastic-free & baking soda free deodorant bars.
The products are vegan, non-toxic, and sustainable.
They have 3 options, and one of them is unscented, suitable for super sensitive skin, and for men, too.
- deodorant is solid, doesn’t get mushy when applying it
- each year 20% of their profit goes to charities that aim to protect the planet, AND they offset their carbon emissions
- Cruelty-free & sustainably produced ingredients
This zero waste deodorant is aluminum-free, paraben-free, and available WITH or WITHOUT baking soda!
It is available in 5 scents, and it is made with organic natural ingredients.
- long-lasting and stain-free
15. DIY zero waste deodorant
There are plenty of simple DIY deodorants that you can try out!
The best part is that to make zero waste deodorant at home, you will need a few basic ingredients, like:
- coconut oil, baking soda, corn starch, and essential oils.
- Easy to make
- Adjustable to your own preferences
- You can make a bigger batch that will last you for longer
I have a full article on how to make DIY deodorant at home.
Follow the step-by-step guide, or watch my video, where I share 4 different DIY deodorants, with or without baking soda:
Can you use apple cider vinegar as a deodorant?
Apple cider vinegar kills the bacteria that create body odor. While I never tried, people are reporting positive results.
You can use apple cider vinegar as 1) Body odor eliminator and 2) To detox your armpits.
As a body odor eliminator:
- Dip a cotton ball in a 1:1 apple cider vinegar and water mixture.
- Swab your armpits with it and let it evaporate.
- Then, to keep it dry, you can powder it with a 1:1 cornstarch and baking soda mixture.
To detox your armpits:
- Combine 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 tsp bentonite clay. Mix them together with your finger to form a paste. (do not use a metal spoon, because of the clay)
- Apply a thin layer to the area under your arms.
- Let it sit for 20–30 minutes until the paste is mostly dry.
- Rinse and gently pat dry.
What is the best natural deodorant?
There is not one, that is the best.
The truth is that one natural deodorant will work great for me, but not for you, and the opposite.
It depends strongly on your body, how much you sweat, what were you using before, etc.
But in general, you can spot a good one if it consists of just a few ingredients, that are natural, without any nasty additives.
Final tips & sum up
So there you have it – 19 of the best plastic-free & zero waste deodorants.
To wrap it all up, I would like to share with you 2 final tips:
1) If you have local eco stores in your city, check them out!
It is possible that you find a local and equally good zero waste deodorant.
For example, I’ve bought one, that’s made locally, in my country (Bulgaria), and it is the best one I’ve tried.
It is called Just Amazing, and it is with – shea butter, baking soda, arrowroot powder, essential oils and vitamin E.
It smells nice, keeps me fresh the whole day, and the deodorant lasted for SUPER long – more than 7-8 months.
2) Don’t get discouraged if you get one that doesn’t work.
We all have different body types, so what works for one won’t work for others. You just have to keep experimenting!
For instance, I first got the ones from Lush, and I didn’t enjoy them too much.
Then I found one from a Danish brand called Urtekram.
It kind of worked, but it had a really odd smell, and I didn’t really liked it.
Then, I found the one from Just Amazing, that I love!
So, be ready to to go through some trial and error.
That’s all, folks! Thanks for sticking up with me until the end. 🙂
If I missed a good one, feel free to let me know in the comment section below!
Stay awesome and until next time.