This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
Are you looking for eco-friendly & sustainable snacks with compostable packaging?
Look no further!
In this article, you can find a list of 18 delicious, vegan and sustainable snack brands with plastic-free packaging.
I haven’t tried all of them (just a few!), however, they all look really good, and most brands ship worldwide, so make sure to check all of them.
In the end, you can also find a small FAQ section that covers:
- What exactly does compostable packaging mean?
- What to do with empty compostable packaging?
- Other sustainable snacks ideas
Without further ado, let’s begin!
21 Sustainable Snacks With Compostable Packaging:
The US | The UK | Europe:
FORM Nutrition offers vegan protein powders & meal replacements that taste AMAZING – even with just water!
Their shakes are an ideal treat or a delicious healthy snack at any moment.
They have two options with various flavors:
- Performance Protein – organic pea protein with brown rice and hemp protein.
- Superblend Protein – organic pea protein with brown rice and hemp protein, combined with maca, flaxseed, greens, and fruit powders.
- Peakblend – Vegan meal replacement powder – their new product, that is a perfectly balanced, great-tasting, nutritionally complete meal.
For the protein powders, you can choose between their 7 flavors (I’ve tried almost all of them):
- Performance Banoffee – Their new flavor, which is probably now my favorite! It has a very refreshing and sweet banoffee flavor.
- Performance Tiramisu – My second favorite flavor! Incredibly creamy and delicious.
- Performance Chocolate Peanut – I haven’t tried this one but sounds amazing, so I will order it next time.
- Performance Vanilla – Vanilla is usually my go-to flavor, and this one did not disappoint.
- Superblend Chocolate Salted Caramel – Honestly, my least favorite because it wasn’t as “chocolatey” as I expected. Still, the taste was good, sweet, and from a nutrition point – excellent.
- Superblend Toffee – My third most favorite flavor. Super delicious and toffee-like!
- Superblend Vanilla – Like the Performance Vanilla, but enhanced and even more nutritious.
FORM Nutrition is a B-certified Corporation, which means it meets the highest standards of social and environmental impact.
Their packaging is compostable and certified to EN standards. It consists of the printed paper that is bonded to a plant-based biofilm.
The bioplast is made from potato starch, and it will biodegrade in fewer than 180 days when composted at home or in an industrial composting unit.
- The protein powder has Digestive Enzymes for better digestion.
- They are sweetened with stevia and thaumatin.
- The Supeblends contain Adaptogens, Maca, and Spirulina for stress and fatigue management.
- Superblend provides your daily hit of antioxidants and other health enhancers with their mix of 12 fruits and vegetables.
- Superblend contains 11 vitamins and 3 minerals to benefit your overall health and provide at least 50% RDA per serving.
You can subscribe to get their protein every month and save 20%.
Livbar makes crunchy, chewy, peanut-free eco-friendly energy bars with a low glycemic index and exceptional nutritional value.
Each bar is a mixture of the best superfoods. They are sweetened with coconut nectar and aren’t too sweet like most energy bars on the market. Additionally, the different flavors of the bars are made with pure natural ingredients and zero artificial additives.
They are made with 100% home-compostable packaging with plant-based ingredients in a solar-powered bakery in Salem, Oregon.
LivBar is also a partner with Ecocart to offset their carbon emissions, and all of their ingredients are Certified Organic, which has a couple of essential benefits, including
- It helps to maintain and improve fertility, soil structure, and biodiversity
- Reduces erosion
- Lowers the risks of human, animal, and environmental exposure to toxic materials
Resist Nutrition was founded by women with hormonal imbalances. Their main goal is to make it easy for everyone to fuel on the go while caring for their bodies and the planet.
Resist bars are packed with hormone and blood-sugar-friendly superfoods and adaptogens, which means that the bars won’t give you a huge sugar spike, but the opposite; they will provide you with long-lasting energy while keeping you full for longer.
The bars are sweetened with monk fruit extract, which does not raise blood sugar levels. The low glycemic protein bars have only 4g net carbs & 2g of sugars and are made with simple, high-quality ingredients.
4. Sun and Swell Foods
Based in: the US
Shipping: the US
Price range: $4 – $19
Packaging: 100% compostable bags
Product range: Cookie bites, nuts, dried fruits, dry legumes, etc.
Find it at: Sun and Swell Foods
Sun and Swell Foods sell their Pantry Staples collection is sold in 100% compostable bags.
Their range of goods is broad, and they offer various healthy snacks.
Sun & Swell has incredibly high food standards, and everything they sell is organic and vegan.
The goods are all gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and free from any added sugars and preservatives.
- 1% for the Planet member – they donate 1% of their revenue to non-profit organizations.
- B-Corporation – meeting the highest standards of social and environmental impact.
12 Tides make crispy kelp chips. Kelp is a unique seaweed – it can remove carbon from the atmosphere 20 times more efficiently than land crops!
Plus, it requires very low maintenance, no fertilizers, no pesticides, no arable land, and no freshwater to grow.
As for the packaging, 12 Tides are using compostable ASTM D6400 materials.
The bag will decompose entirely into compost within 6 months when placed into an industrial composting system.
- 12 Tides is also a certified B Corp and a member of 1% for the Planet.
- They support SeaTrees’ initiative to restore kelp forests along the California coast.
Based in: the US
Price range: €49, €68, or €119
Packaging: compostable packaging
Product range: fresh fruits and veggies transferred to single-serving instant smoothies
Find it at: Kencko
Kencko offers a wide range of smoothies packed with essential plant nutrients.
They are free from refined sugar or artificial additives – just pure certified organic fruits and veggies.
The produce is super-chilled to keep all the vitamins and minerals, then slow-dried to preserve the taste.
They are easy to use – open the small sachet, mix with water, and drink.
Their packaging is certified for industrial composting, and it should biodegrade within 90 days in a composting facility.
If you are interested in sustainability, you want to lower your footprint, and support animal welfare, this product is for you.
Plant-based meat is a great option for everyone, regardless if you are vegan or non-vegan.
No Evil Foods are making all of its plant-based meat products from scratch.
All of their Plant Meats are already fully cooked, so all you have to do is reheat and eat.
Additionally, all products are soy-free, packed with plant-based protein, and fully home compostable packaging.
- Every pound of plastic in their packages removes TWO pounds from natural ecosystems in partnership with rePurpose Global.
- 100% sustainable plant protein that has a similar taste & texture to real meat.
the nu company is one of my favorite eco-friendly snack options; I can’t recommend them enough! They offer unique products, which are:
- Natural & healthy
- In compostable, plastic-free packaging
Their packaging is certified to be industrially compostable and home-compostable.
It consists of home-compostable cellulose film, a thin starch blend, and paper. It is printed with water-based organic inks.
Ideally, you can throw the packaging inside your home compost.
Depending on the environmental conditions – it should decompose in 6 or so months.
When it comes to their products, they have a wide range of unique treats. You can choose between:
- nucao – Healthy chocolate bars. Various flavors. Their nutritious chocolate bars have 65% less sugar than conventional chocolates.
- numove – Plant-based & natural protein bars that offer 12g of plant-based protein. The flavors are – Brownie Crunch & Cookie Dough. My favorite is the Cookie Dough flavor – it is incredible!
- numove shake – Vegan protein shake with no artificial sweeteners. Mix Berries, Vanilla & Cocoa Cinnamon flavors.
- nuseed – Nutritious brainfood bars with hemp seeds, nut cream, and coconut blossom sugar.
- the nu company sources their ingredients sustainably, and they always pay fairly, well above the market price.
- Their products are free from palm oil, soy, gluten, and lactose.
- They work with Eden Reforestation Projects. Every product sold = one tree is planted. So far, they have planted 3,077,315 trees!
- Everything is sweetened with non-refined organic coconut blossom nectar.
To find more about the nu company & its products, read my full review here.
Human Food offers nutritionally dense organic bars that are filling and packed with whole foods.
Each bar provides:
- 100% Vitamin B12, 60% Vitamin C, 50% B Vitamins, 50% Magnesium, calcium, copper, iron, manganese, and 850mg omega 3 (of the recommended daily intake)
The flavors are:
- Red Bar – with organic goji berries
- Yellow Bar – with organic turmeric
- Green bar – with organic spirulina
- Orange bar – with organic orange oil
- White bar – with organic nuts
The outer packaging is made of 100% recycled cardboard, and the inner cartons are made of a mix of sugar cane and other plant fiber pulp.
Human Food bars are wrapped in PEFC certified paper wrappers with a cellulose foil backing.
It can be composted either industrially or in your home compost bin.
They sell Tester packs, Trial Subscription, or Customizable sizes.
- Human Food bars are organic and made with 100% whole foods and whole food extracts.
- The bars contain NO soy, refined sugar, artificial flavoring, or sweeteners.
- CO2 neutral shipping.
10. Seed and Bean
Based in: the UK
Shipping: the UK
Price range: £2.95 – £21.60
Packaging: Home compostable inner foil
Vegan: Vegan options available
Product range: Chocolate bars and truffles
Find it at: Seed and Bean
Seed and Bean chocolate are made with 100% organic ingredients and Fairtrade whenever possible.
The products are ethically sourced and handmade in England.
They use 100% compostable inner foil, made from Natureflex™.
It is a specially sourced, flexible cellulose film that is made from eucalyptus wood pulp.
They have many incredible flavors and a wide range of vegan chocolate bars and truffles.
- Organic and palm oil-free chocolates.
- Unique flavor combinations that you might have never seen or tried before
11. H!P Chocolate
Based in: the UK
Shipping: the UK | international shipping is available (but pricey!)
Price range: £3 – £29.99
Packaging: Home compostable inner film from wood pulp
Product range: Chocolate bars
Find it at: Hip Chocolate
H!P Chocolate is made with high-quality single-origin Colombian cacao in combination with creamy gluten-free oat milk.
Oat milk outperforms other plant milk on sustainability, healthiness, and, importantly, taste too.
The packaging of H!P Chocolate is also plastic-free.
The inner film is an eco-friendly alternative to plastic wrap made from wood pulp.
- Oat milk is allergen-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and one of the most sustainable milk alternatives.
- H!P Chocolate sources the cocoa from a family-owned business in Bogota, Colombia.
12. Eat Troo
Based in: the UK
Shipping: the UK | Germany | Ireland
Price range: £3 – £26
Packaging: Compostable paper pouch with a plant-based lining
Product range: Granola, porridge, and inulin syrup
Get it at: Eat Troo
Troo Granola and Porridge round now come in an inner bag made from sustainable cellulose film.
The film is derived from wood-pulp. It is certified compostable and meets European composting standards.
Troo foods are high in prebiotic fiber and are sweetened with chicory root.
The porridge is gluten-free and packed with omega 3.
The granola is packed with fiber, and it has less than 3% sugar.
- Troo Porridge is very high in fiber, low in sugar. Each portion of Troo contains around 25% of the recommended daily fiber intake.
- You can make it very quickly – add hot water to cover the oats, stir well, and leaving for a few minutes to thicken up.
Two Farmers have an exceptional range of hand-cooked crips, created in small batches.
All the ingredients they use are local, and the potatoes are grown, harvested, stored, cooked, and packed using renewable energy on their farm.
The packets are made from cellulose and sustainably grown eucalyptus trees from managed plantations and plant-based, biodegradable ink & glues.
- Three vegan flavors.
- The grading system of the potatoes is powered using renewable energy.
14. Ramble Co
Based in: the UK
Shipping: the UK | Europe | International
Price range: £1.90
Packaging: Compostable packaging
Vegan company: Yes
Product range: On-the-go nut butter & energy bars
Find it at: Rambleco
Ramble is offering a fantastic snack ideal for adventures and hikes! Their bars are vegan & free from refined sugar, providing a balanced energy release. You can choose between four flavors, including:
- Bara Brith – Tastes like orange and tea
- Cherry Bakewell – Tastes like cherry and almond
- Kendal Mint Cake – Tastes like mint and cocoa
- Parkin – Tastes like treacle and ginger
As for their on-the-go nut butter sachets, you can squeeze them straight into your mouth, add them to fruits, crackers, or a toast, or stir it into porridge.
The flavors they have are:
- Coffee, Almond, and Cashew
- Almond, Date, and Sea Salt
- Peanut, Almond, and Raspberry
- Hazelnut & Cacao
The wrappers of nut butter sachets and the energy bars are plastic-free and made with entirely home-compostable materials.
15. The Daily Bar
Based in: Australia
Shipping: Australia | New Zealand | Asia | UK | Europe | North America
Price range: $25 – $45
Packaging: Home compostable inner wrapper
Vegan: Vegan options available. Some products contain honey
Product range: Bars and slices. Pantry goods
Find it at: The Daily Bar
The Daily Bar is an Australian company selling nutritious & healthy snack bars and slices handmade in Byron Bay.
They are organic, gluten + dairy + grain + date free.
The packaging contains a recycled box printed with vegetable inks, with a home compostable inner wrapper.
There is also a category, called The Daily Pantry, which has various goods, like:
- Cocoa butter
- Nuts – Almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, etc.
- Tahini / Peanut butter
- Chocolate covered goji berry & coffee beans
- Homemade sauces
- Teas & coffees
- Made by hand in Mullumbimby.
- High in healthy fats + proteins and low on natural sugars.
Sipp Instant offers certified organic and fair-trade Colombian freeze-dried coffee.
You can enjoy it independently or with a healthy & sustainable snack.
The coffee powder contains organic Sri Lankan coconut creamer to give you a deliciously creamy coffee at any moment.
It is effortless to make – add two teaspoons of the coffee, fill with boiling water, stir, and voila.
The packaging is certified home & commercially compostable.
- For every box sold, $1 goes towards organizations dedicated to making our planet more sustainable.
- You can choose between their 5 flavors.
Mmmore Raw Treats has excellent sustainable snacks and treats that are 100% vegan and plastic-free.
You can pick between:
- Power cubes
- Peanut butter
- Various raw slices and bars
Mmmore Raw Treats packaging is made from natural materials like sustainably grown eucalyptus.
The wrappers are free from toxic inks, glues, and residues and won’t leach chemicals into the environment.
They start breaking down in a matter of days with the help of friendly microbes and should break down completely in 26 weeks.
- Everything is made locally, ethically, and with respect for the Earth.
18. We Bar None
Based in: Australia
Price range: $19 – $100
Packaging: ABA certified home compostable packaging
Product range: Energy bars, seed crackers
Find it at: We bar none
We Bar None is another fantastic option for healthy, nutritious, and sustainable snacks in the form of energy bars and savory seed crackers!
The bars are delicious & nutritious and come in a range of flavors:
- Mocha (chocolate coffee)
- Aztec (choc chili cinnamon)
- Turkish Delight
The crackers are with sesame, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, pink Himalayan salt, and spices.
There are 3 delicious flavors to choose from.
- ABA certified home compostable packaging.
19. Loving Earth Chocolate
Based in: Australia
Price range: $3 – $67
Packaging: 97% post-consumer recycled paper, home compostable inner wrapper
Product range: Chocolate bars. Cereals & pantry goods
Find it at: Loving Earth
Loving Earth makes chocolate from cacao grown by the Ashaninka community in the remote forest in Peru.
It is plant-based, organic, sustainable, and free from dairy, cane sugar, gluten, and soy.
Their 30g chocolate bars are made with a compostable wrapper.
It is made with cellulose from sustainably managed trees and cornstarch polymer from non-GMO corn.
Their 80g chocolates are wrapped in plastic-looking film, but it is also 100% plant-based, completely compostable, and made from renewable sources.
- The factories they use to make the chocolate are solar-powered.
- The ingredients are produced without synthetic or chemical fertilizers and are cultivated to help restore native ecosystems.
The Vegan Dairy makes fantastic plant-based “dairy” products, made using many cheesemaking techniques Brittany (the co-founder) learned working in the dairy industry.
The Vegan Dairy products are made with the most minimal, healthful, and eco-conscious ingredients.
Their 100% home compostable plant-based bag will break down in less than 12 weeks.
- They do everything from scratch and by hand.
Based in: Australia
Price range: $6.50 – $23
Packaging: certified 100% home compostable pouch
Product range: Chickpea pasta, Mac and cheese pasta, Sri Lankan or Indian dahl
Find it at: Wilderbean
Wilderbean is offering a great protein-packed snack for any time of the day.
Their products are made with legumes such as chickpeas, lentils, and beans.
They are full of goodness, like protein, fiber, iron, magnesium, zinc, and B vitamins.
You can choose between:
- Chilli Chickpea Mac and Cheeze
- Herby Chickpea Mac and Cheeze
- Chickpea Pasta
- North Indian Dahl
- Sri Lankan Dahl
Additionally, Wilderbean comes in a certified 100% home compostable pouch.
The cardboard is 100% post-consumer recycled and printed using vegetable inks.
- Wilderbean’s production site is solar powered.
What exactly does compostable packaging mean?
Compostability describes a material that biodegrades (breaks down) within a short time frame (between or around 180 days) under composting conditions:
- high humidity
- high temperature
- the presence of microorganisms and bacteria
The packaging can be treated as organic waste and will decompose naturally if properly composted – just like a banana peel.
Keep in mind that compostable packaging is not recyclable.
If you don’t have access to composting, you must throw the packaging in the trash.
Since compostable plastics can only break down under special conditions, they aren’t the best solution if you don’t have compost at home or access to a commercial composting facility.
(Note: Compostable and biodegradable aren’t the same. Find the difference in my article here.)
What to do with empty compostable packaging?
The three options you have are:
- Check if the brands have Send-Back programs – This means you will send back your empty packaging and they will compost the bags for you.
- Look if you have an industrial composting facility locally – To find an industrial compost facility, check Find a composter or Share waste. These two platforms will show you the closest composting facilities, and locations. If your city has bins for food scraps and a composting facility, make sure to call them and ask what type of packaging they accept.
- Home compost – Ideally, you can dispose of it in your compost bin. Know that even if the packaging is approved for home composting, there isn’t an exact timeline in breaking down. This is because everyone’s home compost has varying degrees of humidity, heat, and the presence of bacteria/microorganisms. Find 7 step-by-step composting guides here.
Other sustainable snacks ideas
There are many more accessible sustainable snacks you can make at home. Some of them include:
- Fresh fruit – Just cut your favorite local and seasonal fruits in a bowl, and enjoy one of the most sustainable, cheap, and delicious snacks there is.
- Nut butter & fruit – The first idea, with a slight upgrade – nut butter! You can sprinkle your favorite nut butter and make the healthy snack even yummy-er. Check Almighty Foods, Meridian Nut Butters, or local brands you have.
- Snacks from local bulk stores – Look for trail mixes, chocolate-covered nuts, granola, etc.
- DIY – Make popcorn, roasted veggies with hummus, other dips, muffins, healthy brownies, cookies, kale or potato chips, etc.
- Look for local, sustainable snacks – Sometimes, you can find in health food stores great sustainable snacks. Or you can even find some of the snacks from this list. For example, I can find locally – Nucao bars, Ombar, and Seed and Bean chocolates.
There you have it – 21 eco-friendly & sustainable snacks in compostable packaging!
Which of these compostable packaged snacks would you like to try?
If I missed sustainable snacks that you think should be included, let me know in the comments below!